• Quick start and vigorous fermentation, which can be completed in 5 days above 17°C (63°F). High attenuation and high alcohol tolerance.
• Fermentation rate, fermentation time and degree of attenuation depend on inoculation density, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and nutritional quality of wort.
• Low flocculation rate; settling can be promoted by cooling and by using fining agents and isinglass.
• Saison beers are quite unique to brew. During fermentation, cooling is not normally used, allowing temperature of fermentation to increase.
• Aroma is fruity, spicy and peppery due to ester and phenol production, and does not display undesirable odours when properly handled.